Posted Tue Oct 3, 2017 at 08:30 AM PDT by Steven Cohen
A restored Blu-ray is coming to the US and a crowd-funded 4K disc is planned for the UK.
Synapse Films is prepping a Limited Collector's SteelBook Blu-ray of Dario Argento's Suspiria for the US with a tentative ship date of mid-late November. Meanwhile, British label CultFilms is set to launch a crowd-funding campaign for a Limited Edition SteelBook Ultra HD Blu-ray on October 30.
The US Synapse Films Blu-ray disc will use a new 4K restoration of the original uncut, uncensored Italian 35mm camera negative exclusively done by Synapse Films, with color correction supervised and approved by Director of Photography, Luciano Tovoli. In addition, the release will be limited to 6,000 units and will feature exclusive SteelBook packaging and collector's o-card sleeve with artwork from Malleus, Van Orton Design, Juan José Saldarriaga & Chris MacGibbon. A 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray version has not been announced at this time.
Here's a full rundown of specs and preliminary supplements:
- Three disc (Two Blu-rays + One CD)
- Original 4.0 1977 English language LCRS sound mix not heard since the theatrical release in 1977, presented in high-resolution DTS-HD MA 96 Khz/24-bit audio
- Italian 5.1 surround sound mix
- Two audio commentaries by authors and Argento scholars, Derek Botelho, David Del Valle & Troy Howarth
- Do You Know Anything About Witches? - 30 minute SUSPIRIA visual essay written, edited and narrated by Michael Mackenzie
- Suzy in Nazi Germany – Featurette on the German locations from SUSPIRIA
- A Sigh from the Depths: 40 Years of SUSPIRIA – All-new anniversary retrospective on the making of the film and its influence on cinema
- Olga’s Story – Interview with star Barbara Magnolfi
- Original theatrical trailers, TV spots and radio spots
- Special Collector Edition Booklet containing an American Cinematographer interview with Luciano Tovoli, liner notes by Derek Botelho and restoration notes by Vincent Pereira & Don May, Jr. Cover artwork by Matthew Therrien Illustration
- “International Classics” English “Breathing Letters” opening credit sequence from U.S. release version
- Alternate All-English opening and closing credits sequences, playable via seamless branching
- Newly translated, removable English SDH subtitles for the English language version
- Newly translated, removable English subtitles for the Italian language version
- Exclusive CD remaster of Goblin’s SUSPIRIA motion picture soundtrack, containing additional tracks not included on the original 1977 soundtrack release
To pre-order the Suspiria Blu-ray from Synapse Films, click here.
Meanwhile, CultFilms has announced plans to release its own Suspiria Blu-ray in the UK on November 14. Supplements will include:
- Audio Commentary by critics Kim Newman and Alan Jones
- An interview with Dario Argento and Claudio Simonetti
- New Extra: The 4K Restoration Process
- New Extra: Dario Argento Presents his Suspiria
- New Extra: Dario Argento Introduction
In addition, the British label will launch a crowd-funding campaign on October 30 to produce a Limited Edition 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray/Blu-ray dual-format SteelBook for the UK.
The CultFilms disc will apparently feature a different 4K restoration conducted by TLE Films in Germany with the movie's crucially distinct color palette reinstated in accordance with Argento's original Technicolor Dye Transfer specification, using period film materials as reference. Likewise, the restorers also reinserted all missing frames which had degraded badly or were simply lost over the years. Specially-commissioned extras exclusive to this 4K SteelBook release and available nowhere else in the world will also be included.
You can find the latest specs for Suspiria linked from our Blu-ray Release Schedule, where it is indexed under PENDING.
Sources: Synapse Films, CultFilms
See what people are saying about this story in our forums area, or check out other recent discussions.
The latest news on all things 4K Ultra HD, blu-ray and Gear.