Posted Wed Jul 27, 2016 at 04:49 PM PDT by Steven Cohen
The company is investing more money in flexible OLED display production.
LG Display has announced plans to invest KRW1.99 trillion for a new 6th generation (1,500mm x 1,850mm) flexible OLED display production line in Paju, South Korea. The flexible screens are being geared toward use in next generation smartphones and mobile devices.
Dr. Sang-Beom Han, CEO and Vice Chairman of LG Display, said "A paradigm shift to OLED represents both a challenge and an opportunity for the display industry." He added, "LG Display is determined to become the leader in the fast-growing OLED market through timely investments to maximize efficiency."
The new flexible OLED line, dubbed E6, is expected to begin mass production during the second half of 2018 at LG's P9 plant in Paju. The plant is set to produce 15,000 input sheets per month. This new production line will now join LG's 4.5th generation flexible OLED display production line (E2) currently in Paju, and another new 6th generation production line (E5) being built in Gumi. Likewise, LG previously announced plans to invest KRW10 trillion for a new P10 plant in Paju which will also produce flexible OLED displays as well as large-size OLED screens.
Outside of LG Display's new flexible OLED production line, LG Electronics currently uses OLED panels in several TV models, offering superior black levels and contrast over traditional LCD displays.
Here's a rundown of LG's 2016 OLED Ultra HD TVs:
OLEDB6P – Flat-panel OLED TV (4K Smart TV with HDR)
- 55-inch class (54.6 inches diagonal) model OLED55B6P ($3,999)
- 65-inch class (64.5 inches diagonal) model OLED65B6P ($5,999)
OLEDC6P – Curved-panel OLED TV (4K Smart TV with HDR)
- 55-inch class (54.6 inches diagonal) model OLED55C6P ($3,999)
- 65-inch class (64.5 inches diagonal) model OLED65C6P ($5,999)
OLEDE6P – Flat-panel OLED TV (4K Smart TV with HDR and Picture-on-Glass design)
- 55-inch class (54.6 inches diagonal) model OLED55E6P ($4,999)
- 65-inch class (65.5 inches diagonal) model OLED65E6P ($6,999)
OLEDG6P – Flat-panel LG SIGNATURE OLED TV (4K Smart TV with HDR, Picture-on-Glass design and harmon/kardon® sound bar stand)
- 65-inch class (64.5 inches diagonal) model OLED65G6P ($7,999)
- 77-inch class (76.8 inches diagonal) model OLED77G6P (Coming Soon)
Source: LG Display
See what people are saying about this story in our forums area, or check out other recent discussions.
The latest news on all things 4K Ultra HD, blu-ray and Gear.