Slip out of your spacesuit and into something more comfortable! It's time to join Barbarella on a series of cosmic adventures in this Dino De Laurentiis production directed by Roger Vadim (And God Created Woman) and starring Jane Fonda as the intergalactic glamour puss created by comic book artist Jean-Claude Forest.
It is the year 40,000ad. When evil scientist Durand Durand (Milo O'Shea) creates a deadly weapon with the potential to cause mass devastation, the President of Earth dispatches Barbarella (Fonda) to hunt him down. Crash-landing in an icy wilderness somewhere within the Tau Ceti planetary system, Barbarella is rescued by Mark Hand (Ugo Tognazzi, La Cage Aux Folles) and guided by the blind angel Pygar (John Phillip Law, Danger: Diabolik) to Durand's lair in Sogo, a city of corruption and debauchery, where an encounter with the Great Tyrant Black Queen (Anita Pallenberg, Performance) and her minions throws her mission into jeopardy.
With an all-star cast including David Hemmings and Marcel Marceau, and glorious retro-futuristic costumes and art design dripping with 60s psychedelia, Barbarella defined an era and has never looked better than this brand new 4K restoration, with an HDR/Dolby Vision color grade so rich it can be seen from space, loaded with never-before-seen bonus features!
Special Features and Technical Specs:
DISC ONE - 4K BLU-RAY
- NEW 4K RESTORATION OF THE FILM BY ARROW FILMS
- DOLBY VISION/HDR PRESENTATION OF THE FILM
- NEW DOLBY ATMOS AUDIO TRACK, plus original lossless English audio and lossless French mono (featuring the voice of Jane Fonda)
- Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
- Audio commentary by film critic Tim Lucas
- Alternative opening and closing credits (in 4K with Dolby Vision)
- Isolated score
DISC TWO - BLU-RAY
- Another Girl, Another Planet, an appreciation of Barbarella by film critic Glenn Kenny
- Paul Joyce's behind the scenes featurette, Barbarella Forever!
- Love, a two-hour in-depth discussion between film and cultural historians Tim Lucas & Steve Bissette on the impact and legacy of Barbarella
- Dress to Kill, a 30-minute interview with film fashion scholar Elizabeth Castaldo Lundén on Jacques Fonteray's world-changing costume designs
- Framing for Claude, an interview with camera operator Roberto Girometti
- Tognazzi on Tognazzi, actor/director Ricky Tognazzi discusses the life and work of his father and Barbarella star Ugo Tognazzi
- An Angel's Body Double, actor Fabio Testi discusses his early career as a stuntman and body double for John Phillip Law on Barbarella
- Dino and Barbarella, a video essay by Eugenio Ercolani on producer Dino De Laurentiis
- US TV and radio spots
- Image gallery
- Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Tula Lotay
- Double-sided fold-out poster featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Tula Lotay
- Six double-sided collector's postcards
- Illustrated collector's booklet featuring new writing on the film by Anne Billson, Paul Gravett, Véronique Bergen and Elizabeth Castaldo Lundén, and select archival material
U.S. AND CANADA STREET DATE: NOVEMBER 28.